Have you ever been assigned to a group project and had that one person who seemed to drag the entire thing down? Whether they were uncooperative, unorganized or just a pain to deal with, you know how much it can affect the overall atmosphere and vibe of a team.
On the other hand, when the team is working together well, and everyone’s pulling their fair share, the experience is entirely different! Things get done, there’s high energy surrounding the project and, bottom line, it’s much more fun.
There are plenty of benefits to working with a team to help meet a particular goal or need. As a brand leader, you no doubt want to assemble the best collection of individuals so that a) your business grows and b) it’s done in a genuine, and positive, manner.
Whether this is your first time working with a team or you’re using the services of a strategy group to help do the work for you, assembling a team that works well together is the difference between success and a huge mess. Here are nine tips to consider when creating that well-rounded team:
- Understand the goals – When the team clearly understands the goals, they’re more likely to commit to reaching them. There’s nothing worse for team morale than having an unclear direction or a lackadaisical attitude coming from the top.
- Communication is a must! When you’re in constant contact with the strategy group or team (don’t confuse this with micromanaging!), it’s much easier to make adjustments when needed or get feedback from those on the ground.
- Give your team some space – No one likes to be micromanaged or stifled – giving your team the freedom to communicate and take action or voice an opinion when needed is a great way to boost morale! When the team feels heard or appreciated, they’ll be more willing to go above and beyond for the brand.
- Encourage creativity – Why do you want to hire a team? It’s helpful to get different viewpoints and creative energy to elevate your brand beyond where it is now. When working with an outside group, expressing the desire for diversity of opinion, innovative ideas and problem-solving are all ways to ensure the team will do their part in helping your brand.
- Show the team they matter – One of the great things about working with a strategy group (both as a brand and an ambassador) is that work is meaningful – each person involved has the power to affect how the brand succeeds, and that’s exciting for all involved! As a brand, help the team understand the context in which they help business, and you’ll find that they’ll be more loyal and energized to get work done.
- Create a plan – There are a lot of different personalities involved with a team, so how do you make sure they work together well? Here’s the thing – sometimes there may be conflict, but when you have a plan in place, such as conflict resolution, an action plan, and proper management, you’re better equipped at dealing with any conflict should it arise. Another way to deal with conflict is to try and prevent it from happening – this is where creating an action plan, end goal or progress report comes in handy!
- Provide direction as needed – Whether you’re managing a team by yourself, or you’re handing over the reins to a strategy group, there needs to be visible coordination and leadership in place to help set your team up for success. If you don’t have the bandwidth to monitor a team that carefully, it’s a great idea to hire a strategy group so you can focus on running your business.
- Be willing to change – If there’s one thing you can count on it’s that things change constantly. When you’re more willing to embrace flow and think outside the box, you’ll find more success than if you only stick to what you’re doing now (which might not be working).
- Have fun – No one wants to work in an environment that’s boring or unexciting. When your team is enthusiastic and feeling empowered, they’ll be more likely to do great things. Engage with the team, show them you care and enjoy the ride.
Working with a team has the potential to grow your business beyond what you can imagine – whether you want to attempt it alone or go with the services of a strategy group, treating the team with respect and empowerment will set your brand up for success!